Sunday 3 April 2016

Four out of five

Green Woodpecker by Karisha Kuypers

This morning, I did my second visit to the section of forest I was assigned for the project aiming to map all of Brussels' breeding woodpeckers.  During my first visit, I heard a pair of Green Woodpeckers and saw two Middle Spotted.  Today, the Green Woodpeckers were very vocal and I managed to see four of our five resident species.  I saw a Middle Spotted just outside of my area and heard another but the highlight was a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.  Having visited twice over the past three weeks, I reckon my 50-hectare section contains 2 pairs of Green, 1-2 pairs of Middle Spotted, 1 pair of Lesser Spotted, plus at least five or six Great Spotted territories.  Only Black Woodpecker seems to be absent, therefore.  Chiffchaffs are now everywhere having been very late arriving since I didn't see my first one until 22 March, and the Wood Anemones are starting to bloom so if finally feels like spring is here!